There are many different ways that people get injured on cruise ships. Many people end up having a great, very relaxing time on cruises every single year, and sometimes even bring their whole families or making a cruise an annual vacation destination.
However, other passengers, unfortunately, end up the victim of an accident or illness while on a cruise that can cause them to experience life-long pain and significant changes to their lives. Due to the complexities of the laws which govern injuries while you are on a cruise ship, it is essential to hire an experienced cruise ship attorney in order to pursue a claim for compensation after a cruise ship accident occurs. Read on to learn more about the most common injuries to occur aboard a cruise ship from cruise ship lawyers Irwin Law Firm. Call Irwin Law Firm in Fort Lauderdale for a consultation today.
Common Causes of Accidents on Cruises
Cruise ships have many of the conveniences and fun activities that people love to do at home, such as shopping centers, swimming pools, restaurants, theaters, rock climbing walls, thousands of different rooms, and much more. With all these activities come a certain amount of risk and accidental hazards. Some common ways that passengers can be injured on cruise ships include:
- Slip and fall accidents- These are one of the most common ways that passengers get injured on cruises. With luggage clogging hallways, wet floors, and different elevations throughout the ship, there are many chances of suffering serious injuries.
- Food poisoning- When food is not handled properly, it can cause serious medical conditions if not properly treated.
- Swimming pool accidents- Passengers can suffer slips and falls on slippery pool deck floors or defective steps leading into the pool, swimming injuries, or drowning when in cruise ship pools.
- Elevator and escalator accidents- If these malfunction due to improper maintenance, passengers can slip and fall or get body parts trapped, causing serious injuries or death.
- Recreational activities- passengers can become injured when participating in recreational activities onboard or provided by the cruise line
- Legionnaire’s disease-A pneumonia-like illness from bacteria often spread in pools and hot tubs
- Fires-Fire hazards onboard the ship pose a risk to passengers
- Drowning- Drowning overboard, if the ship takes on water, or in a swimming pool
- Assault and sexual assault- by crew members or other guests.
Advice From A Cruise Ship Attorney
Top cruise ship lawyers Irwin Law Firm note that the most common injuries cruise passengers suffer are:
- Neck, back, and shoulder injuries
- Spinal injuries
- Traumatic brain injury & other types of brain trauma
- Broken or crushed bones
- Internal bleeding and organ damage
- Serious burns, disfigurement, and scarring
- Illnesses (food poisoning, bacterial)
- Injuries due to drowning
- Emotional trauma
Contact Us Today
If you or a loved one has suffered any of these injuries aboard a cruise ship, it’s essential to seek the assistance of an experienced cruise ship attorney as soon as possible. Irwin Law Firm are top cruise ship lawyers in the Fort Lauderdale area. Call Irwin Law Firm for a consultation today.