When it comes to the law, there are many misconceptions that you need to be aware of. Are you aware of the myths when it comes to a personal injury lawsuit? Here at Irwin Law Firm, our professionals are here to make sure that you have all the information you need. Our team features cruise ship lawyers near Miami.
Top Five Myths
- MYTH #1: Courts are clogged with too many personal injury lawsuits.
- FACT: Personal injury lawsuits have been on the decline for decades. According to the National Center for State Courts (NCSC), tort cases declined by 25 percent between 1999 and 2008. (National Center for State Courts)
- MYTH #2: Winning a lawsuit is like winning the lottery.
- FACT: Most lawsuits result in relatively small verdicts. According to the Department of Justice’s Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS), the median award is just $31,000, and award sizes have actually decreased over the years. (Bureau of Justice Statistics)
- MYTH #3: Corporations are hit with excessive punitive damage awards.
- FACT: According to the BJS, punitive damages were sought in just five percent of all tort trials where plaintiffs won. In New Hampshire, punitive damages are not allowed.
- MYTH #4: There is an increase in medical malpractice lawsuits against doctors.
- FACT: The number of malpractice payments to have dropped over the last 10 years. According to the NCSC, medical malpractice cases represent well under 2 percent of all civil cases. (National Practitioner Data Bank; National Center for State Courts)
- MYTH #5: Most medical malpractice cases are frivolous.
- FACT: Medical malpractice cases tend to involve severe injuries. For instance, medical malpractice cases involve the death of the patient. Researchers have found few claims that were without merit. Most negligence claims were meritorious, with 97 percent of claims involving medical injury and 80 percent involving physical injuries resulting in major disability or death. Because these cases are very expensive to bring, it is hard to find medical malpractice cases that are without merit. (National Center for State Courts; New England Journal of Medicine; Los Angeles Times)
Get Your Personal Injury Lawsuit Settled With Us
Located in downtown Fort Lauderdale, Florida – the Yachting Capital of the World, Irwin Law Firm is a full-service practice providing personalized service in maritime and commercial litigation, yacht transactions – domestic and foreign, personal injury litigation, contracts for new vessel construction – purchase and charter, and dispute resolution.
Call Our Cruise Ship Lawyers
Handing information on a personal injury lawsuit can get very confusing and overwhelming. This is why you should leave it to our professionals to handle all of it. We are your best resource when it comes to maritime law and a maritime lawyer. At Irwin Law Firm we are experts. You can trust our cruise ship laywers. Get a chance to meet the best maritime attorney in the state! Call or visit us today to get more information. We are located at 205 W. Davie Blvd. Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33315 and can be reached at our office number (954) 775-2301. We are the boat accident lawyer you can trust.